Monday, March 7, 2011

The worst patron ever

A GC student was trying to get in to the library this morning. She didn't have a valid sticker on her ID, so the security stopped her from getting in. She then started to complain how ridiculous it was, "I have a GC ID. Why can't I use the library?" What is it so difficult for a graduate student to understand that you can't get in to the library because you are not registered?

Her attitude was annoying but not uncommon. Once for a while, we get the chance to witness the craziness of the people around the building. A few students did come to us with the fantasy that they and their work are the center of the universe, and if we didn’t appreciate that, they went nuts.

The complaints didn't work on the security guy, so she waited to ask other patrons for help. She first asked an Asian student if she could sign her up as a guest with her. The student turned her down and left. Then she made a comment that surprised me. She said, "I knew she’d probably not help me out cause she's Asian." That kind of pissed me off and made her the worst patron I’ve ever met at the job. What the heck does the color of one's skin have anything to do with the scenario here? Wasn’t she educated? At all?

0 comments:

Post a Comment